Reading came fairly easy to me as a kid, in fact I remember being at a higher reading level than my classmates in grade school. I'm not trying to brag-trust me-although reading & comprehension came easily Math & Science did not! I have fond memories of my grade school teachers reading books aloud in class, I would listen intently and get lost in the stories. However, I don't remember sitting down very often and enjoying a good book on my own. I am not sure why...it may have to do with the fact that no one in my family ever read a lot (not that I remember anyway).
As an almost 30 adult I can now proudly say that I am becoming a book worm. It all started when I went to my first few Book Club meetings with the awesome ladies in my Ward. They seemed to pick great books that I really enjoyed & I was introduced to looking at the books in a different way as I listened to the comments people would make about the book. My kids now see me enjoying a good book (more often than I should be probably), and want to know all about it. I hope to encourage them to begin reading chapter books and novels as soon as they are ready. We already have a good sized library of children's books and each of the kids really seem to enjoy looking through them and each choosing a book before bed to have read to them.
This month for Book Club we are reading "Book of Lies" by Brad Meltzer & I just picked up my copy from the library last night. Matt and I are going to try and read it together and I can't wait until the kids are snuggled in bed tonight so we can start reading!!
If you are looking for a good book to get you started on a "reading journey" I HIGHLY recommend the Bayern Book Series. The first book is "Goose Girl" and although I was sceptical the first time I read it I am now hooked! That is my all time favorite book & I just finished reading the second book "Enna Burning". It took a little more work to get into, but after I finished reading it I was so glad I did! Matt got me River Secrets (well and IOU for it actually) and plan on starting it as soon as book club for this month is over.
AND...I was so pleasantly surprise to find out that a fourth book in the series has just come out! Yippee!! The author Shannon Hale is a fantastic writer & I had the chance to read another one of her books, "Princess Academy" and really enjoyed it also. She may just be one of my favorite authors and I look forward to reading more of her books.
I hope that I may have inspired you to pick up a good book & escape in it. If you don't enjoy it right away just give it some time. It took me a few months to transform into the book lover that I am today. I would love to hear about what books you love! HAPPY READING!!


3 comments:
I have just read the Goose girl too. I just finished Enna Burning, I didn't like it as much, but I am almost done with River secrets and plan on starting Forest Born soon. She really is a good author. I am goig to read her Austenland and Book of a Thousand days soon too. I will let ya know about those.
I have always loved reading. I remember reading all of the work and the glory over and over and over through high school. I love that my kids love to read too. I think you should read Mara, Daughter of the Nile. I love that book!
My story is identical to yours. I never read on my own, but love love loved it when my teachers read out loud. My family didn't read. It was when I started going to book club and the ladies picked books I enjoyed that I started to love books. I am such a book worm now, and wish I had started years ago. It is my escape and I think I try to escape more that I should. I really liked Goose Girl and Princess Academy too. I recently read Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I really liked them.
I've only read Goose Girl...I might have to pick up the others in the series...I hope that you like Book of Lies. It was on my recommendation :) and while there is no sex, I believe there is some PG-13 language. But I LOVED the book and I think that Matt will like it. It's kind of like an NCIS episode. Happy reading!
Post a Comment