Matt has been home for the past few days for the New Years holiday, and he realized that I needed some serious help to get the monster at bay. He started doing laundry early yesterday morning & would switch it out to the dryer, add a new load to the washer, fold the newly cleaned clothes, then put them away. That routine continued like clockwork all day long & he started up this morning and continued until about noon. I was SO relieved to be left with only 2 small loads of clothes left dirty, and can happily say that the last load is in the dryer at this moment!! Wow, do I have a GREAT husband or what?? But back to my point...How do I keep the laundry from turning into this horrible monster that starts to ruin my life!!?? Here are a few things I have tried (some half hearted)
- do at least one load of laundry every day
- wear clothes twice before proclaiming them "dirty"
- store or get rid of clothes that no longer fit
Short and sweet-those have been my tactics up until now, but like I said they aren't really working. Within a matter of 5 or 6 days the 3 divider laundry hamper in my room is creaking at the hinges with the weight of all the clothes that are piled on. The kids hamper is busting at the seams & there are dirty clothes strewn about almost every room of the house!!
What is your secret, how do you keep your laundry monster at bay? I need some new ideas and fast. All of our hampers are empty, but inevitably will start to grow, and as we feed the monster with more dirty clothes it will once again come to life. What can I try, what works for you, and does your laundry behave the same way mine does?


7 comments:
hmmmmmmm I wish I could say I had something that worked.....I like the idea of having the husband do it =)
If I do a load a day it keeps things under control... I can usually skip a day and still be okay too. But we have a smaller family than you! Hate to say it Leslie, but I think your laundry IS some sort of monster. Maybe try doing 2 loads a day? Good luck.
Once you find out let me know! One thing I do is I make Trevor in charge of putting laundry away at night, which works, if he does it... I don't have as hard of time washing and drying the clothes if I think I don't have to put them away and fold them haha
Trent's mom used to do this when she had her 5 kids at home. AND I will add... her kids didn't help her at all... she didn't teach them how to do anything. HAHAHHA... anyway...I don't know if you have space to do this or not, but she had Trent's Dad build a shelf thing that had all the different kinds of clothes. Whites, Colors, Jeans, Light Colors, Sheets, Towels... etc. However you separate your clothes. The kids would put their clothes in the bins, and as soon as the bins were full she could put them in the washer and dryer and whatever. The bins were the same size as a full load of wash... so that they didn't get overfull. I'm not sure how often she actually had to do the laundry, but to have the kids all seperate it for you could shave off a few hours of your time. :)
I do laundry every 2 weeks. HAHAHAHA My sister does it every 2 days and it's just her and her husband.
Les... check this article out: http://theidearoom.blogspot.com/2009/08/laundry-tips.html
it's never ending. I've just succumbed to that fact. no trick will ever make it go away. I hate it. every day that i do a "load" i hate it still. :) not helpful. you're welcome.
I do a load a day. That has worked for me, I can miss a day and still be fine and do two loads one day. I can't stand it when I have to do laundry all day. Good luck.
Post a Comment