8/06/2010

Kindy-garten in July

That's right folks, Trinity started Kindergarten on July 6th and is almost done with her first rotation of year round school! I had a lot of concerns about how she would handle being in school & tried my best to prep her for it as it approached. She seemed to have no reservations about the idea & when the big day came there were both ups and downs.

Here are some tid-bits about Trinity's school and how the first 5 weeks of school have gone...

  • The school only offers full day Kindergarten (that is an 8 hour day from bus pick up to bus drop off)
  • Trinity eats school lunch& takes a snack for later in the day since lunch is at 10:45 am!
  • Our neighbors above us and to the side of us also attend the same school
  • Trinity was upset the first Friday & met with the school nurse because she wanted to go home early & "not ever go back to school". Reason: "I don't want to have to raise my hand and say-'Here' " Remedy: I helped her write a letter to the teacher about her worries & she drew a picture at the bottom. Problem Solved-Phew!
  • Day 2 Trinity decided she did NOT want to ride the bus & I had to push her up the stairs of the bus
  • Day 3 She refused to get on & I drove her to school
  • Day 4 Dad took her to the bus stop and "helped" her onto the bus
  • Day 5 Everyone woke up late & Dad drove her to school
  • Day 6 Things at the bus stop were looking good-until the bus came. She screamed, kicked, cried, & Mom (who was 8 months pregnant) picked her up and put her on the top step of the bus. The bus driver had to get out of her seat and restrain Trinity while Mom "ran away" from the bus stop. (awesome)
  • Bus issues have been resolved as long as Trinity has a picture colored, EVERY DAY, ready to give to Miss Cody (her bus driver) I am SO thankful for such an awesome lady!

I can look back now and laugh at the drama of the first couple of weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that when the second rotation starts, after having a few weeks off, that she won't have any issues getting back into a good bus routine.
I tried my best to get some pics of the first day, but she was so nervous/excited she wouldn't hold still long enough to even look at me and smile!I literally followed her around with the camera trying to get some sort of "happy" expression.One of the highlights was when a lady bug landed on her friend's bag.When the bus pulled up she was almost beside herself with anxiety.Luckily her friend was as confident as ever and insisted that they be "bus buddies"
Notice that there is still no sign of a real smile...I'll post pics of the arrival home & we'll keep looking for that elusive smile.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Leslie, I love your blog. It makes me smile every time I read it.

Tracy Giles said...

Wow, I can just picture you running from the bus - 8 months pregnant! So Funny. School is such a huge transition. I'm glad it got better and hopefully it will continue that way. You gave me lots of good ideas for when Lily starts.

Unknown said...

oh goodness! Look what I have to look forward to :o Good thing I don't have to deal with a bus, though! She is so big, it's crazy! can't wait to hear about baby #4 :) Good luck!

Shantell said...

I don't know if it the hormones or what but totally cried reading this. I can't believe Trinity has already started kindergarten! I hope that thing continue to go well and that she can enjoy her bus rides. When I was little I was jealous of all the kids that got to ride a bus. I had to walk to school. Best of luck these last few days before baby #4 comes!

The Allens said...

I'm glad you made it through the first couple of weeks. The letter to her teacher and colored pictures were a good idea. Katie starts in about three weeks and I'm a little nervous. Good luck!

Brittney said...

Oh my gosh!!! What drama! Glad you made it through. Hope it gets better. That's going to be some awesome stories to tell for years to come!!! HAHA

Jessica said...

I think she'll get better. Clever ideas with the pictures to deliver! Good luck.