4/25/2009

Freezer Jam

Strawberries were on sale a few weeks ago, so I bought some & decided to try and make my own jam. I don't have any fancy canning supplies so I haven't tried to do anything homemade in the past. However, I found this awesome "No Cook Freezer Jam" in the canning isle & gave it a try. The only thing you have to add to it is sugar! (well and the fruit of your choice!) You cut all the tops off the strawberries & then cut them into a manageable size for "squashing". Then using your potato masher you go to town on them!!When you are finished they will look something like this. (and if you were stressed about anything before you started you will now feel some of that stress has been relieved!)Next you mix the packet contents with the sugar in a large bowl.
Measure your "squashed" fruit & add to the mixture. Once you have mixed it well you let it sit for 30 minutes. (That is the perfect time to prepare the containers you are going to put the jam into)I washed my containers & spooned most all of the strawberry jam into them. It smelled SO GOOD!!These awesome little containers are sold right by the "No Cook" mix & were pretty inexpensive. The jam stays good in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or in the freezer for 1 year.There was a little left over that didn't fit into the containers, so the girls and I had a perfect excuse to try some right away. We absolutely LOVED it, and it tasted just as good as it smelled!There were a few people who I had been wanting to give a thank you gift to, so I bagged up some pancake mix & gave them some yummy strawberry topping to go with it!
The container for our family only lasted a few days & I already have more strawberries in the fridge to make some more! mmmm......

7 comments:

The Spigarelli Family said...

Wow Leslie! That looks great I am going to have to try it. We are going to grow strawberries in our garden this year and this helped me figure out what I am going to do with them. It looks so yummy!!! I am into all the canning stuff so, I am grateful for the great ideas. Take care!

Shantell said...

Mmm I LOVE strawberry jam! I did this a few years ago and it was so easy and so good! You tutorial makes me want to go buy some strawberries and make my own jam. Yummy! I love idea of giving pancake mix with the jam. I've never thought of that before.

Kara said...

I have done this before but I am ready to do it again with some blackberries!

jaredelizabeth said...

YUMMMMMMM! I am adding it to my shopping list now. I am majorly craving it now. I need to go eat =)

Emily said...

Ohhh, that does look really good and easy! Yea! I'm definitely going to try that.

Kara said...

Oh yeah me and Kim stayed up till 3:00 thursday morning makeing it! It is sooo Yummy!! Thanks for insipiring us!

zimfam said...

Your little girls are so pretty!