I never got a chance to put Grayden's "story" on here, so I am going to back track & give more of the fun details-don't worry I won't give too many! hehehe
Grayden was due on the 28th of June & as the days got closer and closer I started to wonder just when he was going to come. I had an apt with the midwives on the 27th in the afternoon & was excited to see just exactly what was "going on". I was at about 3cm and she decided it would be ok to "swipe my cervix" (sorry if that was too much info) and help get things going. There was no guarantee on any results since they weren't doing what Doctors will sometimes do, which is strip the membranes, and I left hoping that I wouldn't be pregnant for another week.
Well, sure enough around 6:30 I started having regular contractions, but they only lasted an hour then they stopped. :( They started back up at about 8:00 and were coming on strong, so I made Matt help me tidy up the house a bit so that I felt better about having our friend Charlotte come over to stay with the girls. After about an hour of cleaning we called for Charlotte to come over & headed off for the hospital. In my head I was sure that when we got there they would tell me I was at a 4 or 5 because I had been at a 3 earlier that day.
It seemed like it took forever to get me all admitted & hooked up to the monitors & finally my midwife came & happily informed me that I was at a 3! (she was not the same one I had seen earlier) I was totally disappointed & she realized why when I told her that is the same thing I found out earlier. SO-she said I could stay or go home & come back later if I was still in labor. She gave me sleeping pills & said that if this was false labor that I would be able to fall asleep & stay asleep. However, if it was true labor I would wake up once the contractions got stronger and closer together. We opted to go home & felt bad sending Charlotte home at midnight with the possibility that she would be back. (Did I mention that she is also pregnant! What a great lady!!)
I don't remember falling asleep, but I do remember-very vividly-waking up to the intense pain of a contraction with another one that followed quickly. I woke Matt up to tell him I was definitely in labor & he calmly (and sleepily) told me to, "breathe through it, you are doing great." I took his advice for about 2 more seconds & insisted that we get up, call Charlotte to come back, and go to the hospital. I was a little peeved at the idea that he just wanted some more time to sleep! :)
This trip to the hospital was much more intense than the first trip. We hit our first red light & when I could see that there were no cars in sight I commanded, "JUST GO!!" It was about 2:00 in the morning and I figured we had good reason, so off we sped to the freeway. There was a small line of cars in front of us that were going pretty slow & Matt didn't have to ask if I thought he should pass them. We realized pretty quickly why everyone was going so slow as we zoomed past a cop car that was in the front of the line. Matt slowed down a little and we got about 3 car lengths ahead of him before we saw flashing lights. Go Figure! I suggested that Matt quickly & kindly explain that we were on the way to the hospital. Before he could say anything the cop said, "Hi, I am Police Sgt. blah, blah, blah...with the Denver...blah, blah, blah...and the reason I pulled you over..." This is when he finally noticed a very pregnant heavy breathing woman in the front seat. "...is because you are going to the hospital drive safe!" Off we go again!
Wow, this story is getting long how about I just sum up the last part:
- we get to the hospital & I am at a 4 1/2 (not much change if you ask me!)
- I get my IV & say YES to an epidural before they can even finish asking if I want one
- Matt grabs a blanket & is asleep in no time & I rest for about 45 minutes with much more manageable contractions
- they check me at the end of the 45 minutes because I am feeling a lot of pressure & find that I am at a 10 and ready to push-HOORAY!!
- Matt wakes up and grabs the camera
- I push 2 times and my water finally breaks
- 1 more push and Grayden is here! 4:34 am, 8lbs 3oz, 20 1/2 inches long Happy Birthday!

This picture is funny because it looks like he was posing for the camera-Look at me!
Short little neck!
The girls get to meet Grayden

Matt catching a few more ZZZzzz's at the hospital

Brinley was so excited that "brother" was finally here!

So Chubby and puffy! He doesn't look that big now!

Grayden & Dad (poor Matt had a migrane)

Brin having a turn to hold Grayden & giving a kiss

The girls came to visit the next day in their new PJ's from Grayden

My FAVORITE picture! Trin holding Grayden
Brin enjoyed the nice view from my room
Matt & the girls bought his "going home" outfit & I loved it!!
Grayden all ready to go home

Brinley was so excited that "brother" was finally here!

So Chubby and puffy! He doesn't look that big now!

Grayden & Dad (poor Matt had a migrane)

Brin having a turn to hold Grayden & giving a kiss

The girls came to visit the next day in their new PJ's from Grayden

My FAVORITE picture! Trin holding Grayden
Brin enjoyed the nice view from my room
Matt & the girls bought his "going home" outfit & I loved it!!
Grayden all ready to go homeI stayed at the hospital for the full 48hrs that they allow you & enjoyed the peace and quiet. I felt awesome & couldn't believe how great my recovery was. We were well taken care of by friends from the ward & had 3 great meals brought in to us. Thanks everyone!! I am glad that things went so well because I had a lot on my "to do list" with our big move in July. Watch for another post about that adventure. We are so happy that Grayden has joined our family & brings such a sweet little spirit. The girls are great with him & Trinity is such a big helper. I enjoy watching Matt interact differently with each child & I am sure he is glad to have someone on his side to even things out a little. He is a great Dad!


19 comments:
Cute pictures! I didn't know you got pulled over on your way to the hospital, what a great story.
What a great story! That cracks me up that you got pulled over! HAHAH!! Thanks for sharing all of this!
les - how are you??? I finally caught up with the rest of the blogging world - I just saw your email that you updated your blog - I sent you an invite to our blog - I know LAME...private blogs, but you know, I am SUPER paranoid! So, your girls are beautiful, I can't believe how big they are! Grayden is very handsome and I LOVE all of his hair!!!
Speedy Delivery! HAHAHA That's awesome.. I hope mine goes smoothly like that. I love that you got pulled over.. that's a fun story to share with him when he's older! Glad you're doing good... can't wait to see more updates!
What an exciting labor story! Congrats on your healthy little cutie.
Wow lady! You seriously got pulled over by the cops!
Glad that Matt was around when that darling little Grayden decided to make his entrance. I've been worried Matt would be gone and that would just be the pits!
He is really very handsome Leslie. I love his dark hair. Did the girls start out dark?
Oh this post makes me miss you SO much! I love your little man! He is so cute!!! I so wish we lived close to each other. I'd come over and help you manage the crowds everyday! I can only imagine how busy you are now with 3 kids. BUT I know that you are amazing and will do a great job! I love your story! Thanks for sharing!
He is sooo cute! Glad you made it to the hospital to bad you didn't get a police escort!
He is sooo cute! Glad you made it to the hospital to bad you didn't get a police escort!
He is so cute! What a great delivery. At least once you were there for good! :) I am glad all went well!
You have such adorable kids! I hope my second labor goes much faster than Delia's did! I would love to push 3 times and there they are! He is super cute and I too like the picture of Trin and grayden cheek to cheek ;)
how funny! congrats.
Leslie...what a sweet baby boy!!! You little girls are so dang cute--thanks for the email--I love this "blogging" thing it is such a fun way to get updates on everyone! What a sweet little family!
I loved reading all the details. I only hope my labor will go as fast in the end. Maybe the sleeping-pills-until-you-get-to-transition is the way to go. So glad he's here. He's so adorable!
Hey Congrats on the new little one. He is so cute!!! Nanci was telling me that you lived out here. We just moved here a few weeks ago. My email is tamiwelch@hotmail.com. Email me is you have some time.
Tami (winters)
Is that not a "stereotypical" get pulled over by a cop while rushing to the hospital story. That is great! How nice that Graydon didn't make you labor for too long!
Congrats!
Is that not a "stereotypical" get pulled over by a cop while rushing to the hospital story. That is great! How nice that Graydon didn't make you labor for too long!
Congrats!
Post a Comment