10/13/2009

From Dud to Stud

This is my little glider. It has been a decent rocking chair & has lasted through all three of our kids, & I even tried to sell it a few times, but no one seemed to want it. (not that I blame them) It hasn't always looked this bad, but after a lot of use & a bad experience with the washing machine this is what it has been reduced to. It is saggy, stained, ripped & has almost no cushion left to it-BUT I had high hopes for this glider & was determined to give it a new life.

My first idea turned out to be a dud...I sanded most all of the varnish coat off & then went to work with black spray paint. It didn't take long for me to realize that it wasn't turning out to be the vision I had imagined. I found a new color of paint & got out my trusty paint brushes. Trinity saw what fun the project seemed to be & quickly became my little assistant. I didn't want to put a lot of money into restoring the glider (in case it turned out to be a complete doosey!!), so I had to think of a creative way to add a little umph to the cushion problem. I had an old flat pillow that was kicking around the house, so I tore it apart & voila!! More stuffing than I knew what to do with.
The kids knew exactly what to do with it & started jumping off the couch into it & spreading it all over the front room. I managed to convince them to keep it in a big pile, and as I was taking pictures Grayden kept plopping down right in front of the camera & humming, "heeese" what a cutie pie!

Brinley wouldn't hold still long enough for me to snag a pic of her playing in it, but I could hardly get Trinity away from it!

Anyway...after a few drawn out days of sewing, a few more days of sanding, a day of painting, & then a few more days of stuffing & final touches my little glider went from Dud to Stud!!


Can I get a Woot Woot!!! Doesn't it look awesome?!
I'm not one to toot my own horn, but what the heck? TOOT TOOT!! YAY ME!! Watch out all you half done projects, I'm on a roll. (I hope)

15 comments:

jaredelizabeth said...

Holy Cow! After seeing the black spray paint I didn't have my hope up too much, but that turned out AMAZING! It looks new and very styln'. I am very impressed.

Megan said...

That looks awesome! Looks like the kids enjoyed the project as much as you. I think maybe i'll redo my dud or a rocker.

The Allens said...

Wow...that looks great! Love the fabric. I thought your project would be some type of craft, not an entire chair redo...I am impressed!

The Oman Family said...

That is awesome Leslie! WOW!! That looks so good. You continue to amaze me!

Tracy Giles said...

AWESOME!!! I'm so impressed with your SKILLZ! I tried to say that like that old Boyz 11 Men song, "She's Got Skillz" Okay, I'm a dork. Anyway, I love it. It turned out really nice.

Katie said...

I'm SO IMPRESSED.... you rock... that looks awesome!!!!

zimfam said...

way to go!!!

Brittney said...

Wow! It looks brand new and expensive!! Nice work missy!

The Spigarelli Family said...

It looks great Leslie!! Good job and hurray for you!

Unknown said...

Well done, Champ! WOOT, WOOT!!! You are quite the crafty little homemaker, aren't you?! My mom has a motto she used on us ALL the time, and I'd say it applies here.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

:) Kuddos!

welchfamily said...

WOW it looks great. We got the same glider and it only mad it about 4 months til the back of it broke right off. I am really impressed.

Ryan and Christina said...

TOOT TOOT you go momma! amazing!

SwEaRiKa said...

That looks awesome, Les! I have been wanting to redo ours... and now I am inspired! :) So... now you can tell me the details. Was it hard? Did you just take the pads out and re-cover them or did you cover the covers?

Jessica said...

HOLY COW! You are very talented Leslie. Congrats on a job well done.

Mary said...

Woot woot!! Toot toot!

Looks INCREDIBLE you crazy resourceful and tasteful lady.