1/19/2011

Our New Old Table

You read that right we got a new table, but since it was someone else's before we bought it that also makes it old. Either way I am in LOVE with it & I will tell you why. (I will also explain why it is currently in the basement)

First we got it for a STEAL of a deal because it was on consignment at a local furniture store. I was SO SO close to buying a table set that I'd had my eye on somewhere else, but we decided to check this other place out. Matt wasn't so sure when he saw it, but the minute my eyes discovered it I knew. Oh yes, that table will be mine! It cost us half the price of what we would have paid for the other table being considered!! Oh ya! Second it seats 8. Did you read that? I said, " IT SEATS 8"!! Now I am not committing to have 2 more children, but even if I did we would all fit around this table! How great is that? :) Oh, and it has a leaf in the center, so we can make it a little smaller if needed. Third I LOVE these little drawers. Yes, they actually pull out & I am so looking forward to keeping napkins, bibs, & a couple of small aprons in there for the kiddos to pull on before eating (or spilling) their food.Fourth two of the seats are actually connected making an awesome bench seat! I love the idea of using it as a decorative bench while we don't "need" it, but also being able to grab it & put the leaf in if we happen to need more seats. The list could go on about why I love this table so much but I will leave the list at four. For now anyway. The girls were so excited about our new table and wanted to hang out in the basement so they could sit at it for a while longer.

Now, why is it in the basement you ask? Well...one of my requirements to a new table was that it needed to be black. That is part of the reason that Matt passed it up so quickly when he saw it. I tried to talk him into buying it anyway, but he was afraid that I'd have buyers remorse after getting it home. I finally confessed that I was planning to sand it down and repaint/stain the whole thing. Matt gave me one of his, "Uh-hu. I'll believe that when I see it!" looks and agreed to get it on one condition - It had to stay in the basement until it was all finished :( He knows me too well.

We bought it 2 days before Thanksgiving & it sat downstairs looking so full of potential, but I was afraid to start for fear of making some huge mistake along the road to my dream table. However, I am happy to say that it has made a transition. With Matt's help it is on the verge of getting a fresh coat of paint & stain! (we are doing the whole table first & then we'll start on the chairs) Stay tuned for pictures of the transformation!! I know I'm excited-are you?

5 comments:

jaredelizabeth said...

IT IS FABULOUS! I like it white, but it will be even better black. I'm very excited for you to have a great a table.....I'm table jealous.

Shantell said...

Yahoo! Way to go Les. Don't you just love a steal of a deal. Plus you get to do make it your own table by painting it black. Can't wait to see it.

I miss you!

KristyE said...

It's SO pretty white/cream, but as I was reading along I was thinking "that's gonna stink to keep clean" and then I read about the reno job it's about to receive...SWEET! It's going to be beautiful, I know it.

Krista Johnson said...

I love the white. I guess it is beacause I have the exact table in black so it is different to me. I really love our table as well. Congrats on getting it, can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Jessica said...

What a great find! I've been looking for a table with more chairs as well. So are you staining the top and painting the rest? I want to do the same thing if I ever find one.